Saturday, May 12, 2007

Hypothyroidism

Hello! I have been seeing a GREAT doctor about my hypothyroid and he has been allot of help. I am amazed at how much thyroid problems effect ones health and life. I am so glad to have found a solution to my medical problems.

My first doctor said that I tested normal for hypothyroid (I was on the outside edge of normal with both tests) and even though I have all the symptoms of hypothyroid he would not treat it, and treated me like it was all in my head.

Then I found Dr potter on this web page (you can see him down listed under Sandy)
http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/utah.htm . He explained that most doctors are timid to over treat hypothyroidism because there are some health risks involved. But that while it is risky to over treat it is actually EXTREMELY more of a health risk to have hypothyroidism go untreated. And with modern blood tests it is very unlikely a person would be over treated for hypothyroidism.

Here is my sisters Blog on thyroidism and it has some good information. Give it a read, we are convinced that WAY many more women have hypothyroidism then are tested for it and treated for it.
http://passeyfamily.multiply.com/tag/hypothyroidism

BTW the treatment for thyroid problems is a synthetic version of the hormone our bodies would make anyways. Synthyroid has helped me think better (I discovered that my thyroid problems were affecting my memory quite a bit), feel better emotionally, get tasks and jobs done better, sleep better, my arms and legs do not ache nearly as much. Basically all the symptoms of fibromyalgia, synthyroid seems to help.

Like my sister, I am GLAD to be diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Now all the different medical problems I have had in my life that are related to a low thyroid can be solved.

1 comment:

George Atkinson said...

Since January 2009 I have been using bovine thyroid supplements. Since then it has worked wonders for me.